Monday, February 4, 2008

Propping up the economy

So I spent Saturday at Ikea and Restoration Hardware doing my best to turn this economy around.

Doesn't matter how many lists I draw up or how many times I tell myself that I'm not going to try to do everything at once, I walk into these home places and am transformed into Paris Hilton. Or at least I think I'm carrying her credit card.

Someone needs to draw up a 12-step program for new homeowners that starts with 'thou shall not try to renovate more than one room at a time.' Or 'thou shall shop at Target or Walmart instead of Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.'

I opened my Mastercard bill Saturday and nearly had a stroke. I've been so smug that I've been out of debt (except my car ... that doesn't count) for four years. But now I've made a sizeable contribution to the $2.5 trillion consumer debt level.

You can thank me later.

No comments: