Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dad and I

Today's the Rangers' home opener (yay!!!) against the Baltimore Orioles (boo!!!).

My dad and I started going to home openers way before the new ballpark was built in 1994. Then my brother wanted to go. Then my sister. And my nephews. For three years, we rented a suite but the past few years the team priced us out.

My brother got us tickets from a ticket broker (re: scalper) last year but. they. sucked. It was 55 degrees with a chilly north wind. Our seats were at the back of the outfield and a cold wind beat us up all day.

So this year I decided to get back to basics and take my dad. Just us.

For his 86th birthday in March, I bought tickets in the section and row that for many years we had season tickets. An easy walk from the parking lot. Down one row.

Every year I wonder if this will be the last year my dad will be steady and healthy enough to go to the home opener. I can't imagine doing this without him. Can't imagine not seeing the tears in his eyes when the B-1 bombers fly over the stadium after we sing the national anthem. (I can, however, imagine not cringing when he starts talking loudly about how much he despises George Bush! Yikes.)

But today is the day I'll add yet another beautiful memory of my dad. And I won't think about next year.

1 comment:

Weelo said...

i love this!
cheers to you and your dad...and another season of great memories!