Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Between friends

Had a surprising talk with Brenda last night. Let me explain.

We're planning a trip to Puerto Vallerta in September. Brenda, my dearest buddy, is the perfect travel companion. She'll find the lowest airfare ... the best villa for the price ... car rental and finds these cool places to eat.

So she found a low airfare, called me and booked it while we were on the phone. Then, out of nowhere, she said, 'We've had a lot of talks over the past few years. I know what you want in a partner. And I don't think Liz can give that to you.'

Brenda isn't one to offer unsolicited opinion so it shocked me a little. She and Liz have been friends for over 20 years. But we have grown very close to one another since Liz and I broke up.

Liz hasn't tended to her relationship with Brenda and Deb very much of the last 8 months.
She's been involved in Team in Training and seems to only cultivate the small circle of NAHJ colleagues, her blog friends and those from work. I have felt shut out of her life and I know Brenda and Deb have to. So to hear Brenda say that maybe this isn't going to make me happy, gives me a great deal more to think about.

And this happened on a night that Liz was talking about all the parties her DMN colleagues want to give her. She has kept that part of her life separate from me. I've never felt included, although there was one party she invited me to. As she was talking about the gays, the Hispanics and the Collin County crew wanting to throw parties for her, she never mentioned me going with her. So I asked if she wanted me to go with her ... and she said of course I do.

I guess I was supposed to assume she wanted me there.

No comments: